Avoiding gluten in your diet but fancy a cheeseburger and fries whilst out and about this weekend? There’s some good news if you’re a McDonald’s fan.
The fast food chain has announced over 32 items on its current menu which McDonald’s claim are free from gluten.
However, the restaurant does go on to warn customers, with a message on its website stating “although products are free from ingredients containing gluten, we cannot guarantee that cross-contamination will not occur.”
A spokesperson for McDonald’s said: “Although we don’t have any plans to introduce gluten free buns onto our menu, we work closely with the Coeliac Society in the UK to make sure we have information on which products are suitable for anybody following a gluten free diet.
“As a Company, we do encourage and train all our members of management and staff to be flexible to our customers’ special requests whenever possible.
“If customers want to use their own buns in our restaurants, it would be at the discretion of the individual management teams whether or not they were able to accommodate you doing so.”
Jumbo News visited the Tollgate branch of McDonald’s in Stanway, Colchester in December 2017, where store management and staff were more than accommodating to our request to use our own gluten free bun, warning us of possible cross-contamination that may occur in them doing so.
McDonald’s UK list the following menu items as gluten free:
- Double Bacon & Egg McMuffin (without Muffin)
- Bacon & Egg McMuffin (without Muffin)
- Garden Side Salad
- McFlurry – Cadbury Dairy Milk
- Strawberry Sundae
- McFlurry – Crunchie
- Ice Cream Cone (without cone, only ice cream)
- Smokey BBQ Dip
- Heinz Tomato Ketchup Dip
- Barbeque Dip
- Sour Cream & Chive Dip
- Big Tasty (+/- Bacon) (without Bun)
- French Fries
- Potato Wedges
- Sweet Chilli Dip
- Double Cheeseburger (without Bun)
- Quarter Pounder with Cheese (without Bun)
- Cheeseburger (without Bun)
- Hamburger (without Bun)
- Big Mac (without Bun)
- Vanilla Milkshake
- Chocolate Milkshake
- Strawberry Milkshake
- Hot Chocolate
- Banana Milkshake
- Sausage, Egg & Cheese Bagel (without Bagel)
- Hash Brown
- Philadelphia Light
- Bacon, Egg & Cheese Bagel (without Bagel)
- Sausage & Egg McMuffin (without Muffin)
- Double Sausage & Egg McMuffin (without Muffin)
- Big Breakfast (without Muffin)
The restaurant chain has over 3000 locations in the U.K., employing over 85,000 staff.
McDonald’s has four restaurants in Colchester located at Tollgate, High Street, Colchester Stadium and the newly refurbished Cowdray Avenue.