Fire service issue safety advice following house fire


Essex Fire Service have issued fire safety advice after firefighters were called to a house fire in Colchester after a candle fell over and caught a bed alight.

Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire very quickly on 29th November, but the bedroom where the fire started has been destroyed and the top floor of the house has suffered smoke damage.

Watch Manager Richard Lark from Colchester Fire Station, said: “Candles had been left on a window sill and the window was open. A gust of wind blew over the candles onto the bed which then quickly caught alight.

“Incidents like this show how important is it to use candles safely. It is very important that they are placed somewhere they can not fall or be knocked over.

“Keep your family safe by following our candle fire safety advice:


  • Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains.
  • Children should not be left alone with lit candles.
  • Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.
  • Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
  • Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
  • Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
  • Don’t move candles once they are lit.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use.
  • Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring.”